How can nursing homes prevent the spread of the Coronavirus?
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services issues guidance on COVID-19
Earlier this month, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued guidance to both facilities and surveyors regarding COVID-19 (the Coronavirus). Some of the key points are:
- CMS has implemented protections to limit the spread of the virus in health care facilities.
- Inspections — CMS is temporarily telling state survey agencies to focus their facility inspections exclusively on issues related to infection control and serious health and safety threats.
- Infection control policies — CMS is telling facilities to review policies and procedures to ensure compliance with both CMS’ infection control requirements and the guidelines by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- This shift in survey prioritization will further enable state inspectors to address the spread of COVID-19.
- Any information or complaints that raise concerns related to immediate jeopardy or allegations of abuse will still be investigated.
The following linked press releases provide a good summary and some excellent resource links.
March 4, 2020: CMS announces actions to address spread of Coronavirus
March 10, 2020: CMS issues Frequently Asked Questions on guidance to state survey agencies suspending non-emergency survey inspections