Cannabis Law: Mississippi Medical Marijuana Caregiver Qualifications
On May 7, 2021, the Mississippi Department of Health released regulations on the qualifications and limitations for caregivers of qualified patients participating in the state’s medical marijuana program.
Caregiver application requirements
Applicants for a caregiver license must meet the following requirements:
- 21 years of age or older
- Current resident of Mississippi
- Never held a license, identification card or other state-issued document participating in the medical marijuana program that has been revoked
- Has not been convicted of a disqualifying criminal condition in the last five years
- If in possession of a professional license, the license must be in good standing
The proposed regulations provide limits to caregivers.
- A qualified patient can only have one caregiver at any time.
- A caregiver can only assist qualified patients with the use of medical marijuana. This includes purchasing, acquiring, possessing, delivering, preparing and administering medical marijuana to qualified patients.
- Caregivers are never allowed to consume or use medical marijuana for their qualified patients.
- Caregivers are not allowed to grow, cultivate, manufacture or process medical marijuana for qualified patients.