Cannabis Law: Identification Requirements in Mississippi
On May 7, 2021, the Mississippi Department of Health filed notice for the proposed regulations for the issuance of medical marijuana identification cards.
The regulations detail the types of identification cards that the department will issue, which include:
- Caregiver institution
- Licensed entity
The regulations also include prices for patient cards, caregiver cards and physician cards. Each of these specific cards will likely cost $50, unless the patient or caregiver qualifies for SNAP, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families or the WIC program. In these cases, the card’s cost will be reduced to $25.
Validity and renewal
After an in-person examination by a licensed physician, the identification cards will remain valid for one year (or another physician-designated time period less than one year).
The regulations state that the patient application will require:
- Legal name and any aliases
- Date of birth
- Physical address
- Telephone number and email address
- Photograph (Mississippi driver’s license or another state-issued photo ID)
- Physician certification
- Application fee
- Parental/legal guardian consent for minors (under age 18)
Caregivers or caregiver institutions are defined as those who assist qualified patients with the use of medical marijuana. This may include employees of hospice facilities, hospitals, assisted living programs, nursing homes, or IDF/IDD programs.
Physicians must also obtain an identification card. The requirements for a physician application will likely include:
- Evidence of unrestricted medical license in Mississippi
- Issuance/expiration date of the physician’s license in Mississippi
- Area of specialty
- Physical address of practice
- Phone number and email address
- Licensing fee
- Evidence of completion of applicable continuing medical education
- A signed waiver to the Mississippi Department of Health
- If applicable, disclosure that the applicant has a direct/indirect familial/financial relationship or interest with a licensed entity participating in medical marijuana program
For more information on identification for medical marijuana in Mississippi, click here.